Monday 22 September 2014

Croquembouche - From the goodies sweet treats to fancy wedding cake.

I do love cakes and bake cakes. After the love for Tiramisu with me, is Profiteroles or Cream Puffs. I have never made it before but I would love to if I have time. When I craving for small, cutie, soft and creamy Puffs, I just go straight to Sobeys and buy 1 box of Sensations Profiteroles – that is the best brand having really taste and quite cheap for Cream Puffs.


Back to Recipe Research, I found the recipe I am really interested in and would love to make it on my birthday from Patisserie: An Encyclopedia of Cakes, 1994 of Aaron Maree. “Croquembouche” or Cream Puffs tower means Crack-in-the-mouth – A traditional French wedding cake of choux pastries (profiteroles), each filled with crème patissiere (smooth custard cream), joined together in a pyramid shape with caramel, and decorated with spun sugar.


Recipe


Pastry


1½ cups water


150g unsalted (sweet) butter


1 ¼ cups plain (all purpose flour)


5 eggs lightly beaten


Filling



2 cups of crème patissiere


To Decorate


1 quantity of caramel


Basically, every ingredients and steps in this recipe is the same with any recipe to make cream puffs and caramel. However, instead of Cream Puffs have the whipped cream filling inside, the Profiteroles for Croquembouche have the custard cream. In my opinion, I would prefer the whipped cream for Croquembouche, that will bring more fresh taste for the cakes, not too sweet and heavy thick texture for a bite of Cream Puff.







No comments:

Post a Comment